Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Brussel sprout and bacon recipe

If any of you know me, outside of work, then you know that I have been on this brussel sprout kick lately. I can't seem to get enough of them. Whether I'm roasting them, sauteing them with bacon or cooking them with pasta, they have become a large part of my diet in the past two weeks. I guess it just goes to show me that my mother really did know what she was talking, about all those years ago, when she kept telling me to eat my brussel sprouts because I would love them one day. 

This is one of my new favorite recipes. I’ve tweaked it a bit from the recipe found on the ZaZu Restaurant and Farm page. ZaZu is a sustainable restaurant down in the heart of the Sonoma wine country. Last time I was in California I happened to stumble across this place. A cute little find with wonderful food and a surprise find of our 2007 “Artist Series” Cabernet Sauvignon on their wine list!

Brussel sprouts and bacon salad

4 ounces pepper bacon, cut into chunks
4 cups brussel sprouts, cut off the ends and quarter or shred them
1 shallot, minced
¼ cup balsamic vinegar
1 apple, diced
3 tablespoons roasted, peeled and roughly chopped hazelnuts
1 tablespoon quality extra virgin olive oil
3 tablespoons gorgonzola
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

In a large sauté pan on medium high heat, cook the bacon until browned, roughly five to ten minutes. Add the brussel sprouts and cook until tender, I usually toss with the bacon in the drippings and then cover and let steam for ten minutes or so. Add the shallots and open up their fragrance, about 1 minute. Take off the heat and add the balsamic vinegar, apples, hazelnuts, gorgonzola and extra virgin oil and toss. Season to taste with salt and pepper. I ended up pairing this dish with our 2009 Estate Reserve Chardonnay.

Enjoy!

Shari

No comments:

Post a Comment